04 August 2008

about keywords

I want to talk to you about keywords.

I'll be honest - there's an enormous amount of cr*p 
around to do with using keywords to get higher AdSense 
earnings so I'm going to set the record straight.


** What Keywords Can And Can't Do

When I first started using AdSense (remember I was pulling 
in a poxy $2 per day) I shunned the high paying keyword 
lists you see everywhere.

I thought they were a scam. The thing is - although there 
are some low-quality ones out there, if you do the research 
(and BELIEVE me, I've done that alright) then you can find 
lists that are worth TEN TIMES more than people charge for 
them.

So how does it all work?

Well, quite simply, what you get paid by Google is 
determined by how much advertisers are willing to pay, per 
click, for any given phrase. To get paid more you need to 
focus on the higher paying phrases so that, on average, 
you will get paid more per click.

Is it really that simple?

Well, not quite. You also need to take into account that 
just because a certain phrase pays well doesn't mean that 
you can get a good search engine ranking for it or that you 
can attract any people to your pages who are interested in 
it.

That's why I recommend using multiple tools to help you get 
the definitive answer on the best phrases to use. (I go 
through this in detail in Video 2).

Should I go after high paying phrases regardless of topic?

No siree! This is another big no-no. Don't jump on the 
bandwagon unless the phrase is related to what your website 
is about and more importantly:

WHAT YOU HAVE A PASSION FOR

Did I just use the word 'passion' in an email about AdSense? 
You bet I did!! If you're not passionate about the chosen 
theme of your website then this will come across to your 
visitors. If you are not passionate about your chosen theme 
then you will soon tire of putting in the hours to update 
the site and make those big bucks with AdSense!

In a nutshell - find the best phrases for your theme based 
on:

- How much they are likely to pay you per click
- What level of competition there is out there for these 
phrases
- Your chances of attracting good traffic levels for these 
phrases